July 18, 2005

I wish I had an English accent

I just watched a video clip of J.K. (aka Jo) Rowling on the MSNBC web site. She responded to a question that is often asked, and I really liked her answer.
The question, in a nut shell was, "What do you have to say to all the parents who will not let their children read your books?"
She said that in her books, her characters do challenge authority, and they do break rules. She says this is because she does not agree with the "I'm older so listen to me," theory that a lot of parents have come up with.
Last Summer, when I spent 2 weeks in Utah with my Aunt Alina, she told me why she would not let her kids watch or read Harry Potter. She said it was because of the way they challenged authority and do bad things in order to get a good out come.
I think all the parents that hate J.K. Rowling and her books are the same ones that say things like, "Rap music made my kid smoke weed," or, "That song about suicide is what gave my kid the idea."
Personally, I think it's all bullshit.
It is the parents responsibility to teach a child the difference between right and wrong. It is their job to tell the child after reading a book or watching a movie such as Harry Potter, that it is pretend, and to point out that it is not always ok to break rules, and that there are consequinces to wrongful actions.
A lot of parents also disagree with the whole magic concept. That is so completely close-minded. Disagreeing with the magic is like disagreeing with an imagination at its best. No, Magic is not real, so these people are really just bitching about nothing. Right?

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, of course I will go watch it. I heart Harry.

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home