food for thought
Much to my own disgust I have found that I am addicted to Hooters’ chicken wings. I don’t even like chicken wings, usually. I think it is because of the skin issue. I grew up with skinless chicken; way before it was known to be healthful to skin chicken before cooking it my Mom always did. We also only ate white meat chicken. The rubbery texture of chicken skin on any chicken, but especially wings, is enough to make me lose my appetite. But Hooter’s wings aren’t like that. I think it is because they fry the shit out of them.
I have never entered a Hooters restaurant – I have always refused to on sheer principle. Can I still be principled if I make John get carryout on his way home from the office? I am not completely sure how it happened, but we had Hooters’ wings as game day food one Saturday this football season. Since then, I have called John on a semi-regular bases to bring the damn things home.
I thought the whole “Hooters has the best chicken wings” was just male bullshit. To be honest though, men don’t really help with the insincere feeling of the statement. Last year Lance went to a local arts festival on a class field trip. The kids were allowed to eat anywhere they chose in a downtown area called Bricktown. That night when I asked Lance where he ate, he said that he and a friend went to Hooters. When I asked him why he would go there (I am cruel that way) he said, “Because they have great wings.” When I asked him what he ate he said, “A hamburger.” See? Not completely sincere. For Lance, and many other males, I think the statement “they have great wings” really means “The waitresses are scantily clad.” But damn it, they do have great wings!
Just an after thought: I love ice cream, but I hate dipping it from the container – a compelling argument for marriage. It is nothing for a strong man to scoop that rock-hard ice cream out of the container. In case you couldn’t tell, I am batting my eyelashes. I am also lazy as hell and will get others to do my bidding by any means available.
I have never entered a Hooters restaurant – I have always refused to on sheer principle. Can I still be principled if I make John get carryout on his way home from the office? I am not completely sure how it happened, but we had Hooters’ wings as game day food one Saturday this football season. Since then, I have called John on a semi-regular bases to bring the damn things home.
I thought the whole “Hooters has the best chicken wings” was just male bullshit. To be honest though, men don’t really help with the insincere feeling of the statement. Last year Lance went to a local arts festival on a class field trip. The kids were allowed to eat anywhere they chose in a downtown area called Bricktown. That night when I asked Lance where he ate, he said that he and a friend went to Hooters. When I asked him why he would go there (I am cruel that way) he said, “Because they have great wings.” When I asked him what he ate he said, “A hamburger.” See? Not completely sincere. For Lance, and many other males, I think the statement “they have great wings” really means “The waitresses are scantily clad.” But damn it, they do have great wings!
Just an after thought: I love ice cream, but I hate dipping it from the container – a compelling argument for marriage. It is nothing for a strong man to scoop that rock-hard ice cream out of the container. In case you couldn’t tell, I am batting my eyelashes. I am also lazy as hell and will get others to do my bidding by any means available.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home