August 07, 2005

OKC Brunch

It is Sunday morning, and I really want to go out to brunch, but I can't find anyone to go with me. One of my girlfriends is celebrating her year anniversary with her man, so they can't be expected to interact with any other human beings today. A couple of friends are definitely going to be sleeping in today. Another good brunch buddy is in San Francisco on business, and the other is my best, good guy friend who is currently falling for a new girl and is hanging out with her today. I'll admit it - if I were falling for someone, I'd be having a lazy Sunday afternoon at home as well (otherwise known as cozy sex accompanied by hot tea and movies in bed).

Back to brunch. Sunday brunch is conveniently located following Saturday night and is the perfect excuse to gather with friends for a little of the "hair of the dog that bit ya." This is the reason that one cannot do brunch alone - although guys can get away with sitting at the bar drinking with only a Sunday paper as company, I've never seen a woman do it.

Different venues have different perks: "Pearl's Oyster Bar" has a patio and a cajun themed breakfast accompanied by $1.50 mimosas. The cheese grits and hashbrown cassarole are worth the cost of the meal. And you can get oysters. Yum!

"La Baguette" makes their own jam which is unbelievably good, and the food is always great. They don't have cheap champagne, though, and I consider this a brunch requirement.

"Deep Fork Grill" has great food and drinks with a kickass waitstaff. The usual Sunday bartender is a great girl. She is funny, gorgeous, and works in the restaurant to fund her art gallery. She is always VERY entertaining.

"Flips" has great brunch, cheap champagne/mimosas, and a cool waitstaff. If you aren't into breakfast food, you can order the Hamlet pizza - my favorite pizza in the world. I usually know at least one person sitting at the bar for brunch, so it is always a good time. Plus, it is very convenient to be able to pick-up your car from Saturday night and grab brunch in one trip.

My absolute favorite place to have brunch is at the "Oklahoma City Museum Cafe" where you can not only eat great food, have cheap mimosas, and have one of the funniest men in OKC wait on you, but when you are done, you can wander the art galleries and/or catch the 2pm matinee at their movie theater - all at a discount if you are museum member. They also have a steak and eggs special that may sound boring, but this is the best breakfast ever! You can call ahead to check out the specials of the day and get a reservation.

"Oklahoma Gazette" recently had a brunch wrap up article, so I guess that I'm not the only one who digs it.

There is yet another option if you live in OKC. We have some of the best Mexican food in the world here, and most of the Mexican restaurants serve beer - Negro Modelo is my recommendation. Some really spicy food accompanied by Salsa Especial, roasted jalepenos, and a good friend are almost as good as champange brunch.

If I start listing all of the kick-ass Mexican places, I'll be here all day, you'll get bored, and my stomach will digest itself, so we'll save that for another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home