God how that brings back memories. The 25 pound weight losses, the heat suits, the cracker meals, the dark circles under the eyes, cheekbones poking out. I think I'm getting all misty eyed. I miss wrestling.
Lance is currently pulling to 125. If he let himself eat anything he wanted he would probably weight somewhere in the mid 140's. As it is, he tries to stay around 135-136 and makes 125 once or twice a week.
I tried pulling weight with him a couple of years ago and almost passed out at the gym - seriously! It was the night before a weigh-in, and I thought that since he couldn't drink anything, neither would I. I found the key to weight pulling is that you have to be in excellent shape to run, drill, do push-up, sit-ups, ride bikes, run some more... I, unfortunately, wasn't in that good of shape. We drove home with the windows down in January so that I stayed conscious.
J- Your little brother still wrestles, right? At what weight, and does he go to any national tournaments? It is possible his Lance's paths could cross some time. Does he freestyle in the summer? Lance was on Oklahoma's national freestyle (and greco - though it's his least favorite) team last year and hopes to be again this year.
You grew up in wrestling's meca -- Iowa. We have one of the hawkeyes' wrestling videos from way back (when the twins and Gable were there) that we love. It is what inspired me to start making team wrestling videos every year, which I have done since Lance was in the fourth grade - he's a junior this year.
My brother doesn't have quite the love of the sport as you or I do. But he's alot better than I was, but I don't think that he will be wrestling at any national level any time soon, he's only a sophmore.
5 Comments:
God how that brings back memories. The 25 pound weight losses, the heat suits, the cracker meals, the dark circles under the eyes, cheekbones poking out. I think I'm getting all misty eyed. I miss wrestling.
Lance is currently pulling to 125. If he let himself eat anything he wanted he would probably weight somewhere in the mid 140's. As it is, he tries to stay around 135-136 and makes 125 once or twice a week.
I tried pulling weight with him a couple of years ago and almost passed out at the gym - seriously! It was the night before a weigh-in, and I thought that since he couldn't drink anything, neither would I. I found the key to weight pulling is that you have to be in excellent shape to run, drill, do push-up, sit-ups, ride bikes, run some more... I, unfortunately, wasn't in that good of shape. We drove home with the windows down in January so that I stayed conscious.
Weird. That was the exact weight that I wrestled, and I too normally weighed about 145.
J-
Your little brother still wrestles, right? At what weight, and does he go to any national tournaments? It is possible his Lance's paths could cross some time. Does he freestyle in the summer? Lance was on Oklahoma's national freestyle (and greco - though it's his least favorite) team last year and hopes to be again this year.
You grew up in wrestling's meca -- Iowa. We have one of the hawkeyes' wrestling videos from way back (when the twins and Gable were there) that we love. It is what inspired me to start making team wrestling videos every year, which I have done since Lance was in the fourth grade - he's a junior this year.
My brother doesn't have quite the love of the sport as you or I do. But he's alot better than I was, but I don't think that he will be wrestling at any national level any time soon, he's only a sophmore.
Post a Comment
<< Home