November 22, 2004

College football - A girl's point of view

I love OU football, but I am not a fanatic. I’m not. And those of you who have watched an OU football game with me, shut up.

Being vocal during games does not constitute fanaticism, and I try really hard not to curse at the TV if there are young children around. It’s no big deal that we make everyone present, including the dog (who knows the drill), tap the OU helmet that sits on the coffee table for luck. Everyone would do that if they had a real helmet on hand for games.

In fact, it seems to be crucial to the Sooners that we enforce this tradition. Two weeks ago when OU was playing Texas A&M, Brit called during the second quarter to have me tap the helmet for her; to my horror I realized I didn’t have the helmet out. OU was struggling a little, but as soon as the helmet was tapped by all, and in its rightful place, the Sooners started clicking. Of course, during that particular game it also seemed to help if I left the room during offensive downs and Tona left the room for defensive downs. This caused some tense moments when Tona was on a bathroom break and the offense was getting ready to take the field. She had to do her own version of a “hurry up offense” to get back in the living room on time. These superstitions can get tricky after a while.

Speaking of the A&M game, when Adrian Peterson was putting his shoulder pads back on so he could go back in the game after popping his dislocated shoulder back in place (picture Mel Gibson in the Lethal Weapon series), I had to stifle a small gasp of pleasure. Get thee behind me satan - I sure hope my baptist upbringing was wrong about thoughts being as bad as sin itself!

A word about the Lucky helmet: it is technically Brit’s. She received it as a gift during a fraternity party a couple of years ago – her father has never been more proud. However, she didn’t get to take it with her when she moved out; it is a big responsibility to guard the lucky helmet. God knows what might befall it if we sent it off to Brit’s apartment without adult supervision. Brit can take care of herself, but that helmet is helpless against potential molesters.

Anyway, the Sooners have a week off before the Big IV Championship. This is good, because Thanksgiving weekend is always devoted to wrestling in our family – the Oklahoma Open is held the weekend after Thanksgiving. They let the boys weigh-in Thanksgiving morning so they can eat their holiday meal which relieves me of having to go through the guilt of watching Lance go hungry while I chow down. If you are interested in Oklahoma Wrestling, here is a good link for you to visit:
http://www.okwrestle.com . It covers Jr. High, High School and College wrestling. The forum is pretty lame, but the ranking pages and results information is usually good.


We miss you Dusty! Get some counseling, and come back for another year.
Dan Cody - testosterone is a good thing!


1 Comments:

Blogger Jameson said...

Mama T-

Thanks for the comment. I aim to please, but just between you and me, my parents don't know about my antics, and I would like to keep it that way. haha. I don't really know what they could do about it, but Im really trying to avoid giving my mom a heart attack.

Glad you're enjoying the site, and as long as one of my RAs doesn't find it, there should still be posts to enjoy.

12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home